Hartzler Stands Up For Voting Rights and Opposes Democrats’ Power Grab
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.) issued the following statement regarding her opposition to H.R. 4:
“The 2020 presidential election underscored the need for improvements in our nation’s election integrity, and I am thankful to see states such as Georgia, Arizona, and Texas attempt to strengthen voter’s rights,” Hartzler said. “Sadly, Washington Democrats are intent on doing the opposite with H.R. 4, federalizing our elections and allowing bureaucrats at the Department of Justice to veto virtually any state election law. I cannot support legislation which works against the American voter and decreases trust in our elections.”
Specifically, H.R. 4 would:
- Make it harder for states to maintain their voter lists.
- Lower the standards of evidence for voting rights lawsuits.
- Force federal courts to accept inaccurate Census data.
- Allow lawsuits against a state’s voting laws even if another state has enacted the same legislation.
- Create a new nationwide pre-clearance requirement for certain types of state laws, such as a photo I.D laws, to undermine state election integrity efforts.